Bone marrow treatment in India is an attraction for the bulk of medical tourists due to experts and experienced eminent Oncologists in India.
The Cancer Rounds is also helping individuals seeking bone marrow treatment in India that are also from nations and different regions worldwide.
During the bone marrow treatment, the bone marrow transplant procedure performed is targeted with the goal to replace bone marrow that has been damaged or destroyed by disease, infection, or chemotherapy.
This procedure of bone marrow transplant involves transplanting blood stem cells, which travel to the bone marrow where they produce new blood cells and promote the growth of new marrow cells that are healthy.
What is bone marrow?
Bone marrow is the spongy, fatty tissue inside human bones. It creates important parts of the blood- for instance, red blood cells, which carry oxygen and nutrients throughout the body, white blood cells, which fight infection, and platelets, which are responsible for the formation of clots.
Bone marrow contains immature blood-forming stem cells known as hematopoietic stem cells or HSCs. The mentioned stem cell is considered a predecessor for differentiated cells.
These stem cells are unspecialized, meaning they have the potential to multiply through cell division and either remain stem cells or differentiate and mature into many different kinds of blood cells. The HSC found in the bone marrow will make new blood cells throughout a lifespan of an individual.
The Procedure of Bone Marrow Transplant
the target is to replace your damaged stem cells with healthy cells. This helps your body make enough white blood cells, platelets, or red blood cells to avoid infections, bleeding disorders, or anaemia. Healthy stem cells can come from a donor, or they can come from the patient’s own body.
In such cases, stem cells can be harvested, or grown, before you start chemotherapy or radiation treatment and genetically engineered in the lab. Those healthy cells are then stored and used in transplantation.
Why Do You Need Bone Marrow Transplant?
The need for Bone marrow transplants, performed when a person’s marrow isn’t healthy enough to function properly is justified. This could be due to chronic infections, disease, or cancer treatments. Some reasons for a bone marrow transplant include:
- aplastic anaemia, – a disorder in which the marrow stops making new blood cells
- cancers that affect the marrow, such as leukaemia, lymphoma, and multiple myeloma
- damaged bone marrow due to chemotherapy
- congenital neutropenia, – an inherited disorder that causes recurring infections
- sickle cell anaemia, – an inherited blood disorder that causes misshapen red blood cells
- thalassemia, – an inherited blood disorder where the body makes an abnormal form of haemoglobin, an integral part of red blood cells
- multiple sclerosis- a disease in which the immune system eats away at the protective covering of nerves
As Bone marrow transplants take up to a week and it is advised that the successful arrangements before your first transplant session as directed by your treating doctor are made up to mark. These can include:
- housing near the hospital for your loved ones
- insurance coverage, payment of bills, and other financial concerns
- care of children or pets
- taking a medical leave from work
- packing clothes and other necessities
- arranging travel to and from the hospital
During Bone Marrow Transplant
During bone marrow treatment, your immune system will be compromised, affecting its ability to fight infections. Therefore, you’ll stay in a special section of the hospital that’s reserved for people receiving bone marrow transplants.
This reduces your risk of being exposed to anything that could cause an infection. Also to boost immunity the diet will be given to you by your treating team. At this stage communicate with your doctor without hesitation.
During this time, you’ll be closely monitored for any complications or any side effects – so you can get a solution for the issue you meet the solution.
Current innovations in bone marrow treatment in India are all availed at cancer rounds with partnered best oncologists.