Cervical cancer affects the cervix. The cervix is the lower part of the uterus connecting to the vagina. A virus- namely Human Papillomavirus HPV, is a virus transmitted from one individual to another during sexual intercourse. HPV is the common cause of this cancer. Yes, recently Cervical Cancer treatment is generally planned with strategy as treatable and curable. Yes Cervical cancer treatment is curable- if it is diagnosed when the cancer is in an early stage.
Our oncologist from Cancer hospital in Gurgaon recommends certain tips, that can help a female prevent cervical cancer: –
1. Quit Smoking and start anti-tobacco cessation therapy- As individuals who smoke are in a high-risk zone to get cervical cancer twice times. Quitting tobacco is the best way to avoid cervical cancer. This is because tobacco poses the intake of toxins either by smoking in the body that affect the DNA of the cervix. These harmful toxins contribute to the growth of cervical cancer and quitting tobacco usage will reduce the risk of cervical cancer.
2. Improving the Immunity of the body will help the host to fight against deadly diseases. Take steps to improve immunity by shifting to a healthy diet and quitting a lazy routine- one should exercise regularly. Yes, Leading a healthy lifestyle and doing meditation to manage stress properly assures one to go a long way in improving immunity against diseases like cancer.
3. HPV Vaccine- is among few vaccines that can protect young females against certain HPV-associated cervical cancer. This vaccine is available even for children as young as nine years old and is recommended to prevent the risk of cervical cancer. Even if you are vaccinated, you still need screening because no vaccine provides complete protection.
4. Screening for cervical cancer- is a key for early detection that can help in timely cervical cancer treatment and high treatment success rates or even remission. The leading cancer hospital in Gurgaon conducts such screening camps from time to time.
Multifactorial process is responsible for development of cervical cancer that includes:
1. Multiple sexual partners
3. Poor immunity
4. Early sexual activities
5. Other sexually transmitted diseases.
Hope this article will initiate a rhythm of awareness to take all the required preventive measures for cervical cancer. The symptoms one must look for before consulting the doctor are heavy menstrual bleeding, un-explained or varied color vaginal discharge, bleeding after intercourse, and sexual intercourse accompanied with pain.
Once you suspect and consult the doctor following the experience of the above-mentioned symptoms- diagnostic work is done that includes: –
1. PAP Smear Test: in this test, the gynecologist takes cervical cell samples by the process of exfoliative cytology and the sample is sent to a laboratory for testing. The pathologist will examine the sample after stained with PAP stain under microscopy to detect cancerous cells. It is generally recommended that females above 25 years shall get a PAP screening test done in 3years until the 6th decade
2. HPV Test is referred to as a standalone test or a PAP test to predict the risk of developing cervical cancer. After every 3rd decade, the guidelines have recommended PAP and HPV tests once every six years.
We must mention here that in case the PAP smear or HPV test results turn out abnormal, you need to follow up with an oncologist.
Cervical cancer treatment: the best oncologists at the Cancer hospital in Gurgaon will provide the diagnosed patient with several treatment options. The assured treatment is dependent on the stage of cervical cancer, tumor size, age of the patient, health condition, economic status.
To conclude we must focus on fact that the prevention is better than cure – and above said few tips at home will prevent cervical cancer. Also, we want you to take the pledge in the month of January to spread the word of Cervical cancer awareness by opting for regular cancer screening. If at all you happen to be diagnosed with this cancer, you can get timely treatment and might get cured.