Bone Marrow Transplant Treatment and Its Treatment Team
In our bones, spongy tissue is presently termed bone marrow which is responsible for the formation of blood cells. Yes, all blood cells are produced from “hematopoietic stem cells” or simple “stem cells” which are present in the bone marrow. A bone marrow transplant is a method to transfer healthy stem cells into a patient.
The special characteristics of the hematopoietic stem cell help them to renew themselves. Besides this, hematopoietic stem cells or stem cells in none marrow also can develop into any type of blood cells.
“Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation or bone marrow transplantation” is the technique that aids the injection of stem cells from bone marrow that produce red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets into a recipient after a short course of chemotherapy called conditioning.
Before the process of Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation or bone marrow transplantation, the process of filtering stem cells is done and the goal of BMT is to transfuse healthy bone marrow cells in patients.
Advantages of Bone Marrow Transplant
Bone marrow transplant treatment is used successfully to treat diseases such as leukaemias, lymphomas, aplastic anaemia, immune deficiency disorders, multiple myeloma, etc.
There are two ways in which bone marrow transplant can be done, such as:
- Autologous bone marrow transplant in which the donor is the patient himself or herself.
- Allogeneic bone marrow transplant in which the donor shares the same genetic type as the patient.
Matching involves typing human leukocyte antigen (HLA) tissue. The antigens on the surface of these special white blood cells determine the genetic makeup of a person’s immune system.
There are antigens present in the blood. Around 100 HLA antigens are there from which few major antigens are supposed to match. If these HLA antigens of both the donor and recipient match then the transplant is possible. The others are considered “minor” and their effect on a successful transplant is not as well-defined.
Success in a bone marrow transplant procedure is the cure of a disease that is not achieved instantly.
Bone marrow transplant treatment is life-saving and in India the cost for BMT treatment range from about Rs. 15,00,000 to Rs.40,00,000.
Team of Bone Marrow Transplant Treatment
After knowing briefly about bone marrow transplant treatment, let us understand the role of the bone marrow transplant team:
The bone marrow transplant team is comprised of a group of specialists that work together for a successful transplant. The team consists of professionals specialized in oncology, haematology, immunology, and bone marrow transplantation.
Besides this, the role of the bone marrow transplant nurse coordinator who organizes all aspects of care provided before and after the transplant can never be forgotten.
As the bone marrow transplant nurse coordinator educates the patient, caregivers coordinate the diagnostic testing and are present for counselling during follow-up care.
It is necessary to take references before approaching the specialist. In this, you can collect information from social media, digital platforms, your relatives, and your family doctor.
How Cancer Rounds Can Help You?
Besides this our virtual hospital Cancer Rounds also provides a second opinion as well to ambulatory or remote cases who are hunting for the right bone marrow transplant specialist to proceed with.
Cancer Rounds is impregnated with the leading and the best cancer doctor in India, with the boon of both expertise and experience – here we also avail our patients to get their comments about those doctors before interacting with them.
Once you are satisfied proceed to read reviews of patient survivors’ stories available on the website that will surely answer your queries i.e. why the particular doctor is preferred for you.
- Not always meet positive comments and doctors are also human, in case you come across some negative comments about their doctor, always scrutinize the comment because each case is different. This will give you an idea if it is a wise decision to go for the concerned specialist for Bone Marrow Transplant.
- The bone marrow transplant specialist team in Cancer Rounds has strong experience with bone marrow transplants, as they are also updated to provide you with answers to queries like- what options do exist and how each one works for your situation.
- The focus of Cancer Rounds is to reach far/remote patients as well, in this, we are guiding accommodation, and financial aids as well because the first thing you come across during treatment is that it’s not possible for patients during different phases of treatment to travel far away.
You can also contact us directly by sending us a query, in case you require a second opinion for a Bone marrow transplant for yourself or your loved being.