What is Bone Marrow Transplant?
Bone marrow transplant is a process in which blood stem cells have been transplanted from a donor to the patient. The new stem cells replace or destroy the damaged cells in the bone marrow.
The healthy stem cells can come from another person or the patient’s body. The bone marrow transplant cost varies according to the type of bone marrow transplant required, as explained below:
- Autologous bone marrow transplant: This type of transplant uses the patient’s own bone marrow and is less expensive than allogeneic ones.
- Allogeneic bone marrow transplant: This form of transplant uses bone marrow from a matching donor (ideally a sibling). These types of transplants are more expensive as the patient must pay not just for themselves but also for the donor’s examinations, facilities, and lab tests.
- Haplo- allogeneic transplant: It is the type of transplant in which the bone marrow from a donor (patient’s children, parents, or sibling) partially matches with the patient’s stem cells. The cost of Haplo-Allogeneic transplant is significantly higher because the surgery is much more sophisticated, increasing the cost and number of tests.
Below is the list of some of the diseases or disorders that may require bone marrow transplant:
- Aplastic anemia
- An inherited blood disease
- Bone marrow cancers like leukemia, multiple myeloma, and lymphoma
This article is focused on the bone marrow transplant cost in India, let us go further to know more about it.
Cost of Bone Marrow Transplant Around the World
Bone marrow transplant cost in India with comparison to other countries:
From worldwide data it is depicted that India provides best facilities and high-class treatment of bone marrow transplant at the lowest price possible.
Bone Marrow Transplant Cost in India
In India, the average cost of a bone marrow transplant ranges from 20 – 30 lakhs for an allogeneic transplant to 15 – 17 lakhs for an autologous transplant.
In India, different cities can provide the same facility at different cost. For your reference, below we have discussed the cost of bone marrow transplants in India in different cities.
Mostly the cost of bone marrow transplant varies with the type of transplant required. Here is an estimated bone marrow transplantation cost in India based on its types:
Why do people choose India for bone marrow transplant?
People from around the world choose India for healthcare services. Therefore, it is one of the most popular countries in the field of medical tourism. There are many reasons because of which most of the foreigners choose India for their Bone Marrow Transplant surgery, such as:
1. Cost: The value of Indian rupee is less than dollar, pound, or euro, hence the bone marrow transplant cost is lower in India than other developed countries. With that India provides world class facilities and treatment through skilled doctors.
2. Competitions: There are many Cancer Centre and private hospitals for the treatment of cancer in India which offers a variety to choose between them according to budget. Success rate of bone marrow transplant is popular in the world as every hospital in India offers best bone marrow transplant related surgeries and advanced technology with affordable treatment.
3. Hospitals: Bone marrow transplant procedure is available in many Indian hospitals. Their high-class quality of service and modern infrastructure is designed in a way to provide a comfortable and supportive environment for patients to get better soon. They also offer high-end technology for surgery and treatment of bone marrow transplant with other procedures.
4. Doctors: In India, doctors can offer the same consultation as the doctors in other developed countries in a cost-effective way. This is one of the major reasons that India is cheaper than other countries in bone marrow transplantation.
Factors affecting Cost of Bone Marrow Transplant in India
The cost of bone marrow transplant in India includes some other minor expenses such as:
In general, patients who have a bone marrow transplant could be released from the hospital within a few weeks, with follow-up consultations lasting three months.
Bone Marrow Transplant Success Rate in India
In recent years, the success rate of bone marrow transplant has risen to 90 percent, and patients are satisfied with the treatment.
The rapid advancement of medical technology in recent years has contributed to an increase in the success rate of bone marrow transplants in India, as well as an increase in the survival rates for numerous types of blood cancers.
Due to the high success rate and low cost of bone marrow transplant in India, it is considered as the best destination for the treatment.
Best Bone Marrow Transplant Hospitals in India
The majority of Bone Marrow Transplant Hospitals in India are well-equipped with innovative medical technology and ultra-modern infrastructure.
These hospitals have highly experienced and talented specialists that deliver the best possible treatment and healthcare to their patients. On top of that India offers the best bone marrow transplant facilities at an affordable price.
Some of the top hospitals for bone marrow transplant in India are:
- Fortis, Gurugram, Haryana
- Artemis, Gurugram, Haryana
- Manipal Hospital, Dwarka, New Delhi
- Fortis, Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- HCG, Bangalore
- HCG, Bangalore
Cancer Rounds is here to assist the patients to get the finest treatment. To get a consultation from the best oncologists and hematologists, contact us and our team will get back to you in less than 24 hours.