Colon Cancer Overview
Colon cancer is the cancer of digestive tract part or large intestine termed as a colon. It is the last portion of the large intestine. In most of the cases, starting occurs with the benign or noncancerous cluster of cells known as adenomatous polyps. However, some of these polyps can turn up into colon cancers with time.
Polyps might cause some mild symptoms and due to this, regular screening is mandatory for the early diagnosis of the disease. If the presence of polyps is identified then its removal is also essential to avoid any chances of cancer in the future.
The colon plays a vital role in the elimination of waste material from the body. If the functioning of the colon gets impaired then it causes trouble in waste elimination and leads to toxic results. Symptoms might show up differently in every colon cancer patient that to depending upon size and location of cancer.
Some of the common symptoms of colon cancer might include rectal bleeding, diarrhoea, change in stool consistency, fatigue, and weight loss. But many people might not experience any symptoms, especially during the early stages.
Once symptoms are felt, diagnosis and treatment become essential. The hospitals in India provide economic as well as world-class effective treatment options which reduce the colon cancer treatment costs for the patients who can not otherwise afford the treatment in their native country either due to lack of latest modalities or no medical insurance.
As per the guidelines, colon cancer screening usually begins at the age of 50. Although, the presence of some risk factors like family history can lead to early screening referral by your doctor.
Indian hospitals offer a variety of latest colon cancer treatment options which are available at comparatively high prices in counties like USA, Canada, UK, etc. This economic availability of colon cancer treatment in India bridges the gap or disconnect only because of monetary limitations. Colon cancer treatment cost varies based on the stage of the disease.
Several facilities like online consultation and post-treatment follow up options are also provided to international patients by Cancer Rounds.
What are different known Colon Cancer types?
Colon cancer or colorectal cancer is curable with early diagnosis and proper treatment. Most of the colon, as well as rectal cancers, are a type of tumor known as adenocarcinoma. Although, there are several other types of cancers do occur in the colon which has their different characteristics and is also treated differently. The treatment of later stages of cancer is also possible these days by the help of advanced medical technology.
- Adenocarcinoma: This particular type of cancer show its presence on the lining on the internal side of the colon. This is the most commonly found type of cancer amongst all.
- Carcinoid Tumors: These tumors begin with hormone-producing cells inside the intestine. It is a slow-growing tumor and might even appear in different places inside the colon or rectum. Few of these tumors are not fatal and might not cause any symptoms but most of them are fatal.
- Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors: Gastrointestinal tumors are found anywhere in the GIT or gastrointestinal tract. These are soft sarcomas found in the tissues or blood vessels and are of several sub-types.
- Lymphoma: It is mainly such a type of cancer which impairs the immune system and begins in the lymph nodes but sometimes can also begin in the colon.
- Hereditary Colon Cancer: Nearly 5 to 10 per cent of the total colon cancer cases are of colorectal cancer. It happens because of certain gene mutations which come from the parents their offsprings. This can be evaluated via genetic testing and further risks.
Types of Colon Cancer Treatment
- Surgery is the first line of treatment in colon cancer depending upon the fact if cancer has not metastasized. The colon cancer treatment cost when surgery is opted by doctors usually begins with US$ 5000. Surgery for colon cancer treatment is of various types
- Partial Colectomy
- Lymph node removal
- Endoscopic mucosal resection
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Colostomy for rectal cancer
- Chemotherapy is also used in colon cancer either independently or as adjuvant therapy to surgery. The type of chemotherapy
- Radiation Therapy- Radiation therapy is rarely used in colon cancer treatment known as IntraOperative Radiation Therapy
- Targeted therapy-There are currently six different types of targeted therapies used for colon cancer and are used based on other co-morbid condition of the patient.
- Immunotherapy- Keytruda is the latest immunotherapy approved by the FDA.
- RFA or Cryoablation- Technique used to kill the tumor cells with the use of radiofrequency ablation or cryoablation.
For a multispecialty team to review your case and suggest the best options for colon cancer treatment and cost, leave your details in the form below.