The Radiation Therapy Cost in India for Cancer is from Rs 60,000 to 20 lakh.
This price increases according to the number of radiation cycles.
If a patient requires the dose of two-cycle radiation, it will cost approximately Rs 2,46,000 approximately.
Radiation therapy also known as radiotherapy causes damage to the cells by destroying the genetic material which controls the cell growth and division.
During this treatment, both healthy as well as cancerous cells may get damaged.
Hence, the main goal of this therapy is to destroy a lesser number of normal cells.
Normal cells have the tendency to trigger the repair of the damage caused during radiation uptake.
Cost of radiation therapy in different cities of India –
Cost of Different Types of Radiation Therapy in India
1. Internal Radiation Therapy – Internal Radiation Therapy is also known as brachytherapy as in this therapy, a radioactive source is placed inside the body of the patient to kill or destroy cancer cells.
2. External beam Radiation therapy – In this method radiation comes from a machine which to a specific organ to deliver radiation. There are several sub-types of external radiation therapy such as:
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) – It is a 3-D conformal type of radiation therapy that targets tumors from several different angles with different doses in many small beams of radiation.
- Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT) – It is a technique that aims at an exceedingly small beam of radiation with different intensities and rotates 360 degrees around the patient’s body to offer a three-dimensional manner of treatment.
- Proton Therapy – Unlike traditional radiation therapy, proton therapy uses protons instead of x- rays to kill and destroy cancer cells. Proton beams of high energy can target tumors more precisely than x-ray beams.
- Gamma Knife – It is a type of computerized radiation therapy that helps to locate and eradicate small tumors in the body of a patient. This treatment aims to precisely deliver an intense beam of radiation to target the affected area and spear the surrounding organs.
- Image-guided radiation Therapy (IGRT) – This method gives an additional feature to traditional radiation therapy by incorporating images during the treatment to assist the treatment to give more precise results.
Our Services –
Cancer Rounds is associated with many well-known hospitals. We provide assistance to get the best cancer treatment.
In our organization, we stand with every step of your journey of cancer treatment.
By sending a query you can get in contact with us.
Comparison of Radiation Therapy Cost With Different Countries
It is an expensive procedure though an effective one.
India has several equipped hospitals in different cities which provide effective as well as economic treatment for cancer of several types.
Radiation therapy cost in India approximately ranges between Rs 60,000 to Rs 2,25,000 or US$500 to US$ 30,000.
Although, an exact cost might only be calculated after a complete analysis of the cancer type.
It involves usage of high technology-based latest complex machines along with well-experienced staff and specialized doctors to handle all sorts of cancer cases.
The exact radiation therapy cost in India mainly depends upon the type of radiation involved and its frequency or number of cycles required to treat that particular cancer.
Several types of financial assistance are offered by many hospitals and online portals and even insurance does cover a partial amount of the total amount involved in this procedure.
Pre or Post treatment
Apart from the main course of treatment, the cost of radiation therapy may vary depending upon the few tests required for the diagnosis and to check progress of treatment.
Some of the most common variables are:
Additional treatment methods
Apart from radiation therapy, there are two more commonly used methods to eradicate the cancer from the body of a patient. These two methods are:
1. Chemotherapy: It is a method that uses potent drugs to kill cancer cells.
It is usually administered with radiation therapy to give better results.
Chemotherapy is one of the most used methods to remove cancer.
The main objective of chemotherapy could be to shrink the tumor, completely remove the cancer cells or kill the remaining cancer cells after surgery depending upon the type and stage of cancer.
2. Surgery: Surgery is one of the most common methods to remove any solid mass tumor.
The main aim of surgery is to remove the tumor completely and effectively.
It is the most traditional method to remove cancer from the body.
As it is an invasive method people usually avoid surgery if the other options are available.
Factors affecting the cost of radiation therapy in India
1. Type of cancer – The cost of radiation therapy in India majorly depends upon the type and stage of cancer a person is suffering from.
The treatment through radiation therapy revolves around the fact which type of cancer would require which type of radiation therapy, hence the cost of radiation therapy depends upon the type of cancer.
2. Treatment – The cost of radiation therapy also depends upon the length and dose of radiation therapy.
Longer the period of treatment, expensive will be the radiation therapy depending upon the treatment required according to the type and stage of cancer.
Generally, cancer hospitals offer radiation therapy in a package of dose and length, which helps the patient to estimate the cost of treatment.
3. Place of treatment – The cost of radiation therapy treatment varies with respect to the city and hospital chosen.
As mentioned above the cost of radiation therapy in India changes in different cities of India.
Delhi offers the most affordable treatment around the nation.
Why is there a Need for Radiation Therapy for Cancer?
This type of treatment is an effective method of treating several cancers and it helps in easing symptoms.
Radiations or Radiotherapy for cancer helps not just in treating several types of cancer by slowing its growth and finally stopping its growth but also prevents relapse in the future.
Radiation therapy is also used in several cases to just ease the symptoms which are known as a palliative treatment therapy.
External beam radiation shrinks the tumors and helps to relieve pain and other related symptoms like breathing problems, bladder, and bowel related problems, etc.
The drugs used in this treatment also are known as radiopharmaceuticals help in treating cancer-related pain which has already spread to the bone and other regions.
The Suggestion of Oncologists During Radiation Therapy
Radiation oncologists always suggest a cancer patient take radiation therapy.
Patients, most of the time, worry when they hear about radiation therapy. Radiation therapy has certain dose limits in the entire lifetime.
If a patient has already taken much radiation in one area, then next time, he or she will not be able to make this therapy further in the same area. The patient can take radiation treatment in some other areas.
Radiation therapy has specific doses to use for curing cancer.
This amount is thoroughly measured by a unit called grays. Depending on the stage and type of cancer, the group is given to a patient.
In leukemia cancer treatment, a patient is treated with the gray unit of 20 to 40, and in severe condition, doctors increase the dose up to 60 to 80 gray units.
Sometimes radiation therapy is easily combined with the surgery.
At the time of surgery, doctors in the Radiation Therapy Center for Cancer uses this therapy to protect the unnecessary growth of the cell.
By following strict guidelines, the medical team of Radiation Therapy for Cancer in India handles a high number of cancer patients every year.
As per the specialized doctors of Radiation Therapy Center for Cancer, at the time of taking the treatment of radiation therapy, most of the patients do not feel any pain and discomfort.
But, in rare cases in medical science, it is also observed that a small portion of cancer patients experience sudden sickness as a patient needs anesthesia for blocking his or her awareness.
They sometimes feel weakness and nausea for this anesthesia treatment.
Every year a huge number of people get treated effectively with one of the modalities in this form of treatment for cancer.
It is used for treating almost every type of cancer.
Radiation therapy is effective in treating several non-cancerous or benign tumors also.
Several people with different types of tumor receive radiation for cancer as a main part of the whole treatment.
Indian hospitals every year treat several international patients who come as medical tourists and get treated for their cancer.